Monday, December 26, 2011

Waiting with hope.

As we enter the new year, I have a feeling many of us are hoping 2012 will be a new start. A good great year. A year in which God moves and really brings it. Or maybe that's just me :)

Yesterday Pastor Dan talked about a childhood memory which was a test of patience. Children were given one marshmallow and promised that if they could hold onto it and not eat it, in 20 minutes they would get another one. Some children were actually able to hold it and not eat it, and of course some ate it. So the ones who waited ended up with two!

The Israelites had waited 400 years without a new word from God through the prophets. 400 years!! How dare I complain if I have a bad day, week, even a month without feeling Him near. Simeon was a man in the book of Luke who believed God's promise to him that he would see the Messiah come before he died. Against all odds, he had faith to hold on to that promise, until he was old and grey. And lo and behold, God delivered His promise! (He always does)

You see, the HOPE in Simeon was greater than the HOPELESSNESS around him.

It made me ponder how long I am willing to wait for God to deliver for me. I am waiting on Him to reveal several things in my life, including my career. I am in a holding place right now where He is teaching me much but keeping me still. And I'm rearing up, getting impatient with Him, ready to move! How dare I? How can I insist on being impatient with the Lord of all creation? Ah, but thanks to Him for His mercy and grace.

Of all the things I am struggling with, I think patience is still a big one. I can wait...but not "too" long. And when I wait, it's probably not very patiently. Psalm 27:14 says "Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." The concept of waiting patiently on the Lord is woven many times into His word. Obviously He knew we'd struggle with that.

I have to let go of the ways I think He will work things out, put that aside, and simply wait on Him. With hope.

In spite of our circumstances, in spite of what things look like all around us, God and His plan are ALWAYS worth the wait!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jen..I needed a wee bit of encouragement in this particular area..keep writing...Love you.

    ReplyDelete