Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mary brings her "A" game

I love that at the age of 29, God can reveal something fresh and new to me through something I've heard a hundred times: the story of Jesus' birth. Well, make that the story of His conception. It's even better when that revelation occurs during youth group- I'm there for the kids, right? Except God sees it as a perfect opportunity to refresh my awe for Him.

We talked about expectations and hope. Certainly Mary, as a young woman at that time, dreamt of the coming of the Messiah. They all were waiting for Him to come and deliver them from the Romans. We can also assume that she did not hope and dream of carrying the Messiah in her womb before she was married.

Can you imagine? Being under 18, unwed, and pregnant. And then trying to convince your mom and dad that God did it. Riiiiiight. Not to mention convincing the man of your dreams that you didn't sleep around. When Mary imagined her life, I'm sure that wasn't how she would of planned it.

That isn't necessarily new to me. What takes on new meaning is this: her response. "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said."

THAT'S IT??? That is what she replied? Because, let's be real, if you're getting ready to take a nap and an angel pops in to tell you you will get pregnant by the Holy Spirit, well, her response wasn't on the list of responses I might have!

I realized as I listened to the lesson that I want to have faith just like that. Regardless of what the Lord asks me to do for Him, I want to reply exactly the same: "I'm your servant, let it be as you've said." That's faith. Incredible faith.

Take a minute to go back to Luke chapter 1. It's a story we are so familiar with, yet one that is so absolutely incredible. He didn't just pick anyone; He picked Mary. (Please don't get me wrong, I don't condone worshipping her more than Christ. Luke 11:28 says that rather than Mary being the blessed one is those who hear the word and put it into practice.)

Let her short, simple, devoted response inspire you this Christmas season to have faith that will trust God regardless of what you see around you.

1 comment: