Thursday, July 26, 2012

To Jamaica we go...


After I traveled to Haiti in March, I felt certain that God was calling me into a life of missions. I have been happy to serve on a local level in Knoxville since then. Now I am excited to have the amazing opportunity to travel to Jamaica in October on a mission trip with Knoxlife Church.  My team and I leave October 16th for the Caribbean Christian Center for the Deaf. (CCCD) We will spending six days with youth, adults and families who are struggling to build lives for themselves in an environment not as friendly to those with disabilities as we are accustomed to.
In Jamaica, CCCD is caring for nearly 200 children, teens and adults on three campuses. In addition to the three campuses,  CCCD partners with several orphanages in the area spreading their resources with the most impoverished on this Caribbean island. More important than their disabilities, disease or the fact that they were abandoned is that each child has a talent and gift to share with the rest of the world. While in Jamaica we will care for and play with the children, while also performing different tasks and work projects, with the goal to make it a better place for the children to live.
I am looking forward to this opportunity to see the ways God uses all of us! The trip will not be easy by any means, so I am asking for your prayers- now, as we prepare, and especially during our time in Jamaica. Intense heat, real poverty, new situations, and the challenges of living simply and selflessly- we surely need to rely on prayer!
Please keep my fellow missionaries and me in your prayers, but most of all, please pray for the children we are going to serve. When you feel the love of your own children and family or are overcome with a feeling of gratitude for something in your own life – keep in mind that you have the power to make the children in Jamaica feel that way too.
In addition to your prayers you can also help the children by contributing to my fundraising effort. I’ve set a goal of $750 that I aim to raise, knowing that each dollar is working towards the care and health of the children. I also plan to bring a number of items with me that will assist in their care – if you would like to donate items, please contact me for my list.
I'm so thankful for your prayers and support – it means such a great deal to me personally and even so much more to the children I will serve. You are supporting me as I'm His hands and feet to them. 
I am simply blessed and in awe that God would offer me another chance to serve Him in this way. He is amazing! You can email me at jennifermccombs@me.com for information on donating funds or supplies. Every little bit helps!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment