Sunday, July 29, 2012

He walks on the chaos of our lives...

I love when a familiar scripture I'm reading blows in like a breath of fresh air. Yesterday I was reading dear Mr. Oswald's "Utmost For His Highest" and it was a good devotional. Nothing that really rearranged my thinking, but still good. Then I looked at the scripture reference it gave just to see what it was about (Mark 6:45). And the cool thing was I got way more from exploring that story in the bible than I did the devotional. (I just think it's cool how God can use whatever, whenever to get into my mind/heart!)

It's the story of when the disciples were out boating in the middle of the sea at midnight, and they see a man walking on the water and freak out. (I totally think that's a justified reaction, by the way.)

"When it was evening, the boat was in the middle of the sea, and He (Jesus) was alone on the land. Seeing them straining at the oars, for the wind was against them, at about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea; and He intended to pass by them. But when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed that it was a ghost, and cried out; for they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke with them and said to them, "Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid." Then He got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped; and they were utterly astonished."


SO much jumped out of this at me. They were in the middle of the sea. Alone. Helpless. Sure, they may have felt confident until the storm came up. How often do we feel isolated in the tough stuff of life? But here's something reassuring- He was watching the whole time! (Seeing them straining at the oars). Jesus had not for one second forgotten them. He was always there.

Then He comes to them, and they freak out! They are obviously surprised by His presence. And not that we all wouldn't be surprised by a guy walking on water, but I think there's more to this. They weren't expecting Him. They weren't looking for Him. They weren't prepared for the miracle, because later when the storm stops, they are all utterly astonished! I wonder how many times I do that, get so caught up in the mess and trying to take care of it myself that I forget to look for Him and His help. Then when He does act, I'm surprised!

The other cool thing I like is that once they recognize Him, He IMMEDIATELY comforts them, and gets in the boat with them. He could have stayed on the shore, He could have calmed the storm with a word, but instead He does it with His presence!

This is not a distant God, but one who will leave His home to be with us in our pain.
He can walk on the storms, the chaos of our life. Not only that, but he gets in the boat WITH us and calms our hearts.

So let's look for Him in the midst of our suffering and expect the miracle. Be aware of His presence. Hold on to hope, it doesn't disappoint. (Romans 5:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment