Friday, June 17, 2011

Inconsistencies

So while I was mopping the floor at 10:00 pm on a Friday night (yes, I lead a posh life), I had time to think.
For some reason, I began thinking about children who are held in slavery in other countries, mopping as well, and working harder than I may ever work. It makes me frustrated, the amount of awful in this world. I want to change it all.

Then my thoughts went to those who are not believers in Christ, who inevitably say, "I simply cannot believe in a God who would allow all of this suffering." Therefore, there must be no God at all, or if there is, He must be a mean, cruel, heartless God.

Friends, NOTHING is further from the truth! The bible declares in many places just how precious we are to Him. In Isaiah 43: "I have called you by name, you are Mine!" and "You are precious and honored in my sight." He knew us before we were formed in the womb (Jeremiah 1:5). This is not an uncaring God. This is the God who loved us so much, He allowed His ONLY SON to die in our place. Imagine giving away your most precious thing, whether a child, pet, or item, to save another life. How many could honestly do that? And doing so to forgive the most unspeakable sins! We all want justice for the sins we consider worse than others. Yet, ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23) None of us deserve the pardon from our sin, and from the eternal consequence of hell. I deserve to go to hell. My default destination, without the death and resurrection of Christ, is hell. He spared me this with all the love and adoration I could never earn.

"But what about all the suffering?" You say. "Why would He allow it??" Well, He spared me hell, but He never guaranteed a life with no troubles. He even warned us: In this world you will have trouble (John 16:33). I myself have experienced tragedy. It was ugly and horrible, and I believe it was intended by Satan to harm me, yet the Lord used it for good. The only reason I have peace and joy and can carry on is because of the power of Christ living in me. We will ALL experience trials whether or not we are a believer. NOT because God doesn't care, or turns His face away from us, but because we are HERE, on Earth, a very fallen place. He doesn't prevent each and every bad thing; often they shape us and develop our character, and lead us to Him.

Another thing: I find it interesting that people blame God when things go wrong, and yet, if He did step in and solve every wrong, do you TRULY think that we would acknowledge Him? This is a huge inconsistency in my opinion. If everything ran perfectly, we would have no need for Him.


Listen, I'll be honest, there are plenty of times that I don't understand why He does things the way He does. I would have definitely written my husband's accident with a different script. I'd be lying if I said I never questioned the way He works. Job sure did. He had one bad thing after another happen, and it really shook him. To the point where he started yelling at God. Basically, "what have I done wrong to deserve this? Haven't I done everything I'm supposed to? Shouldn't calamity be for the unjust?"

Well. God sure has a reply for him. A pretty long one, actually. The short version is: who are YOU to question Me?? Were you there when the world was created?

The thing is, if we could understand everything God did, he wouldn't be God. He'd just be some fluffy santa claus. He is God, the one and only true God, the one that will bring grace and judgement to all people. He is real. He doesn't have to answer to us. Ever. Get used to the mystery, folks.

2 comments:

  1. Sheri mercer FreelandJune 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM

    Preach it Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the mystery just makes everything sweeter when things work out! love you!

    ReplyDelete