Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rose colored glasses

I've had a lot of "ponderings" this week. Unfortunately, I haven't had a bit of time to share them. But this one thought has stuck with me- perspective, as in how we see the world around us, is incredibly influential on mood.
I struggle a lot with being a cynic, seeing the glass half empty, etc. Negativity regarding my circumstances comes naturally. (It always has; this isn't a result of my most recent circumstances.) I am overcritical of myself, and that translates into being overcritical of my children, and having higher expectations of them then I should. Also of my dog...but that is for another blog!
I recently began reading "Raising your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. While I haven't had time to get past the first chapter :) that first chapter alone was so helpful and exciting! Evidently, my children are both spirited. I always knew Ewan was different, but this book helped me to see the spectrum of colors he brings into the world.
She talks about how we label our children, and much like food is labeled, it tells us exactly what is inside. So- grumpy, difficult, angry, disagreeable, and rude tell us what is inside our children. Sadly, the one negative label trumps all the goodness inside as well. She encourages us to see the flip side of each negative description: stubborn=tenacious, wild=energetic, nosy=curious, loud=zestful, etc. If you describe your child positively you begin to appreciate all those qualities that used to make you want to pull your hair out. This is the theory. While I believed she had a point, I have never bought into changing the world by the way you think.
SO...I gave it a shot. I have to admit, it really worked!! There are moments where I still lose my temper, or wish they both weren't screaming at each other in the backseat while I stand outside the car not wanting to get in.
But I have noticed more. I've noticed how Ewan is very perceptive and thoughtful, like when he said to me at the table, "do you want to be alone? Would you like me to leave?" or when I asked him to get me some water, he said "oh yes, I will Mommy" with a chuckle.
I've noticed how Allison does the absolutely most adorable things at the worst possible moments, but by ignoring the clock and enjoying her spunk and creativity, I get joy in return.
I am weary. I work hard to manage the behavior of two very spirited children. I am often ignored by them, the dog, and the cats. But I am blessed. They are more work, but they are more blessing. If I can just remember to let God help me put on my rose colored glasses and enjoy the gift He has given me by changing my perspective, I am given much.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

3 comments:

  1. Like it! Unfortunately I was a labeler when you grew up and not usually for the positive. Hence the perfectionist in you, looking for approval.
    Sometimes I think God works thru our children to remind us of His love for us and our blessings.
    It usually comes when we are at the end of our rope and can't take one more thing. God I think likes to surprise us with his love!
    You are fully pleasing, completely forgiven, totally accepted and complete in Christ Jesus!
    Both God and your mother agree on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fantastic writer! Also happy to read about your new perspective on your children. As an outsider, looking in, I can not imagine how trying your situation must be, but also I get to see your children through the rose colored glasses. You are very perceptive to be able to see it from all sides. :) I also like how your faith is such a positive influence in your life and you are always uplifted by it, rather than sitting higher than others looking down from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See...now aren't you glad you followed your 5 yr old's advice and got that "mommy book" to "help you be a good mommy"? Ha! The fact is, you are an incredible mommy...you don't know but when you're not looking, I am taking notes. :) You parent your children with love and the Bible and desperate, honest strength from God. You know you don't have the strength to even attempt all that you do on your own and you make sure to give all that glory to Him. Sorry. I know you're not looking for pats on the back with this blog but you're gonna get them. I love reading these. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete