Monday, January 23, 2012

Hey, look up!

Last week I slipped back in some areas. For whatever reason, I tend to either have it all together or it all falls apart. Well, ok, I guess I never REALLY have it all together :), but when I get overwhelmed with all the "stuff" of life, sometimes I kinda give up and let it all go. As a single mom who has a good deal to manage and hold together, letting everything overwhelm me is a formula for disaster.

Luckily it was Oswald to the rescue! I have been doing devotionals in "My Utmost For His Highest"by Oswald Chambers. I do this sporadically at best, and some days just don't seem to apply at all. Every now and then there is something that just speaks directly at me. I LOVE those days.

This particular devo revolved around the verse "Look to me.." in Isaiah 45:22. We get so preoccupied with everything in our day to day lives. It's easy to do. Our struggles and temptations, yes, but also just the "stuff" we are required to do. Decisions we have to make. The awesome thing is that all the chaos in our minds totally vanishes when we look to Him. I can absolutely testify to that.

When I spend time just sitting with Him, talking to Him (still working on the listening part ;) ), I feel peace. Crazy, supernatural peace that is totally unattainable without that time with Him. Everything else seems to make sense. Life doesn't seem so overwhelming. There's a reason He says in Matthew 6:33- Seek first MY kingdom, and then everything else will be taken care of (I'm paraphrasing). He says it because it's the truth. There's absolutely nothing I have coming at me that He:  a) doesn't already know about, and b) cannot handle. So it makes sense to put it all in His hands anyways.

And the best part is that the more I spend time with Him, the more I WANT to spend time with Him. I used to feel like I had to do it. It wasn't really out of love. It was a task to complete because that's what Christians do. But over the last few years He has tenderly drawn me into this great relationship of love. Just sit with Him. Just love Him. Make it #1 on your list. Everything else will fade away and fit into your life in the proper places. If you don't, the rush of other things will obscure your view of Him, and you will be overwhelmed. Don't be hurried out of abiding in Him. Look up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment