Friday, January 6, 2012

Ale!

(That's Haitian Creole for go, not excitement about a beer...)

Yes, I'm going to GO to Haiti in March. I am so very excited!! I've never been on a mission trip out of the country before. Last year I had a desire to go and serve but wasn't able to do so. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to go with my church, Calvary Baptist, for spring break this year. It's not very often that a chance for something like this presents itself. Well, for me anyways. :)

There is of course, the to-do list: passport, vaccines, arranging childcare (thanks Mom!!!!), and of course, fund-raising. I've also been reading up on what to expect when I get there.

It's funny because now that I've really started preparing for it, the fears have set in. Evidently our government says it's a pretty hostile place. Being the only living parent for my kids, obviously I feel a great need to stay alive for them. I don't worry so much about cholera as I do getting shot. But ultimately the Lord reminded me that He is in charge, and any number of things could happen to me right here in the US. The fact that I'm still breathing is because He wants it to be so. And my children belong to Him...He formed them without my say-so and He will continue to care and provide for them with or without me. (Always humbling when He gently reminds me of that!)

Also I am ridiculously phobic of airplane flying. I cry when we take off. It's pretty bad. And driving to Haiti is not an option.

So, CLEARLY there are some huge prayer opportunities for you! I need any and all prayers you can offer up on my behalf, but specifically that His will would be done in and through me both here and in Haiti. If it is that I should go, then let's go!  Also, that I would have peace and safety both in the air and on the ground. And that God would watch over and protect my children and Mom back here in the US.

Ultimately I am going for the purpose of being the hands and feet of Jesus, to show love to those who feel neglected and in despair. I also enjoy doing that here in the US. I believe we can serve wherever he plants us. So where will you "go" today? Tomorrow? In March?

One last thing: yes, I need some financial support as well. Please consider if there's anything you can give, even if it's $5! :) I know times are tough financially for everyone...but I also know that the amount I have to raise is probably peanuts to God. So just think about it and pray about it! Thanks in advance for all the love and support!!

Address for any donations is:
Calvary Baptist Church
c/o Jennifer McCombs- Haiti Trip
3200 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919

No comments:

Post a Comment