Friday, February 3, 2012

Fear and other 4 letter words...

This week I had the privilege of being a part of Lost Sheep Ministry's Wednesday night outreach. You can read more about LSM here: Lost Sheep Ministry . For about a year I have had the desire to take church TO the homeless in Knoxville. There's so many people that would never darken the door of a church, so how awesome would it be to meet them right where they are? After all, that's how Jesus rolled.

Logistically, however, it was an undertaking I couldn't figure out how to begin. Imagine my surprise and joy when I found out that it is already happening in Knoxville!! Every Wednesday night, under the 1-40 bridge, LSM puts on a service, including music and preaching, and a hot meal for Knoxville's homeless neighbors. They also offer clothing, shoes, books/bibles, and prayer. The part I get to help with is the medical outreach- health screenings, first aid, etc.

God opened up some doors, and I walked through them. I know He has given me the skills I need to do this, but I'll be honest: I am one naive, sheltered chick. I am full of love and compassion for God's people, but I have NO idea how to minister to them. None. So there was definitely some anxiety when I went this week for the first time.

I felt totally inadequate for the job at hand. Uncomfortable. Afraid. All I could do is pray that Jesus worked through me, cause I was 100% out of my comfort zone. I'm sure that's how He wanted it, anyways. :)

The volunteer director walked me around the perimeter to orient me to how everything works. As we walked, one scripture filled my heart: There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear. (1 John 4:18) Jesus is the only one who has perfect love. He IS love. When I was in fear, I was unable to really interact with the people He set before me. But when I allowed HIS perfect love to fill me and flow through me, and when I released those fears to Him, I was able to truly become His hands and feet.

I'm not saying I still didn't have moments of fear after that, BUT I learned to place those feelings in His hands. The miracle is that I began to be able to minister with a light and happy heart...hold a hand of one who was stressed, discuss sobriety with a proud young man who was doing the best he could.

Although I perhaps expected an overwhelming sense of "OH! This is what you have for me to do, Lord"...it didn't come. What did manifest within me was the slow, gentle work of the Holy Spirit leading me forward another step. I'm not sure I will ever say with certainty what He's got up His sleeve for my life..but for now I am blessed and content to take each opportunity one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Many of us think we would like to do this but come up with too many excuses. You stepped out in faith and did it!
    To God be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete