Saturday, October 1, 2011

Get up and go!

Last evening I enjoyed a great night of worship with some fellow single moms at The Well, a ministry of First Baptist Concord Church in Farragut. After the singing, we received a great message about CHANGE.  The Holy Spirit was a'movin' and a'shakin'!!

Change...sometimes change is good...sometimes change is not as good. Some of us crave it, some of us hate it. Sometimes, like the changing of the seasons, it brings relief. Sometimes, like time passing, leaving us older still, it brings sorrow. But like it or not, change is something that all of us will have to endure. It is simply part of the human experience. And while we don't always have a choice about when or where we will encounter change, we do have a choice of how we respond. Now, while that was easily read, THINK about it. WE have a CHOICE in how we respond to ALL change in our life.

How serious are you about wanting to change something about your life? If something negative has happened, such as a divorce, losing a job, losing a loved one, moving to a new place where you don't know a soul...what now? Changing the way that we respond to stressful, life-changing events requires intent. It will not happen by chance, and it won't be effective, lasting change without the power of God behind it.

The speaker gave us several things that are vital if we want to allow God to make changes within us that will last:
1- Spend time with God each morning. Yes, you can do the afternoon or evening. But allowing God to fill you up before chaos begins makes the day so much smoother. You commit and purpose each day for the Lord and then surrender to Him all day long. I myself have seen the blessings that come from seeking Him early. It is a good thing. Remember: you don't need to be more or be better, you just need to be closer to Christ. It's the only way you can have lasting change in your life.

2- Stand up on the inside. Sometimes we just talk about all the ways we want to do better or are gonna do better and then feel defeated when we fail. Let what you believe inside be how you live outside. Stand up inside and resolve to act on what you know is true, regardless of how you feel or what you see. As Beth Moore says, "our theology oughta match our reality."

3- Choose to become a prisoner of HOPE instead of sin. We have been bought at a price, friends. There is nothing, NOTHING that is outside the reach of the healing hands of Christ. "Yes, my soul, find rest in God. My hope comes from him." Psalm 62:5

4- Never give up! Even if you aren't seeing any progress, be assured, if you are drawing nearer to God and deepening your faith in Him, He will be faithful to continue molding you into who He wants you to be. "We walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Cor 5:7

 Do you want to be well? Do you want to be healed and whole? (Of course, goober!;  you think...)

One story in John 5 is about an ill man laying on a mat by a special pool in Bethesda. Once in awhile, at "certain seasons" an angel would come stir up the pool and whoever stepped in first was healed! Well, this man had been there for THIRTY EIGHT (38!) years. On a mat. Possibly in pain. Seriously. And the first thing our sweet Lord asks him is: "Do you wish to get well?"

And again we think, of course, goober! What kind of question is that?! But as you will notice as you read more of His word...He doesn't ask useless questions. He never acts without purpose. So clearly there is something to be discovered here. I think that before we can get better, before we can move into the next phase of our life and graduate from our "mat", and before we can have lasting, effective change in our hearts, we have to WANT to be well. At any cost. Trusting Him to do it. You can't hem and haw about wanting to be "well" when it comes to a relationship with Christ. He simply doesn't work that way.

Interestingly, the man's response to Jesus' question is this: "I had no one to put me in the pool!" Umm yeah..I'm pretty sure Jesus knew that already. In fact, it says that he knew the man had been a long time in that condition. Seems like it should have been a YES PLEASE! answer to the question. So...let's dig deeper...

When Jesus asks me if I want to be well..do I point fingers at other people? Do I blame those who hurt me, instead of forgiving and allowing Him to heal my heart? Let's stop focusing on the problems we have had. This man had been focusing on his problem for 38 years and it was the first thing out of his lips when Jesus spoke to him. "I'm ill...nobody's helping me...I'm always last in the pool." I'm sure his situation was rough. I'm sure it warranted some emotion. But when the God Almighty meets you face to face and is about to make you well, are you gonna put on your pity party hat?? I'm sure I've done it before. Stories like this one I believe are there to remind us not only how to live like Christ, but to remind us how easily we resort to our fleshly ways without Him.

God will let you stay on that mat for the next 38 years. He never forces you to choose Him, to be well. To be filled with his Spirit and the blessings that accompany it- things like love, joy, peace and patience. He allows us to choose the mat, to stay down, defeated and bitter, pointing fingers at everyone who let us down.


I want to be well!! I want to be wholly surrendered to Him, so that all my past regrets and all my past hurts and all my past failures can be used to make me better or can be discarded by the only One who truly knows me. I don't want to lay on the mat any more and throw pity parties in my heart. Oh Lord, make me well. I want to thrive, not just survive....

No comments:

Post a Comment